dmv.community is one of the many independent Mastodon servers you can use to participate in the fediverse.
A small regional Mastodon instance for those in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia areas. Local news, commentary, and conversation.

Administered by:

Server stats:

170
active users

#glasgowhistory

7 posts5 participants1 post today

Memorial to John Stewart who founded the City of Glasgow Friendly Society in 1862. This sculpture, on the city's Douglas Street, is by William Kellock Brown. The aim of the City of Glasgow Friendly Society was to 'enable members of the industrial classes to arrange with one another for mutual aid during sickness or on the arrival of old age'.

Queen Mary's Stone on Court Knowe in the Cathcart area of Glasgow. This stone supposedly marks the spot where Mary Queen of Scots watched the Battle of Langside in 1568, where her army was soundly beaten. However, it seems unlikely that this was the actual spot from where she watched the battle as it was close to Cathcart Castle, which was held by a supporter of her opponent, James Stewart, Earl of Moray.

The remains of the 1820s Craigmarloch Stables near Kilsyth. This was one of a number of identical stables built along the Forth and Clyde Canal in central Scotland to provide changes of the teams of horses used to pull fast passenger vessels known as Swifts. Capable of carrying up to 200 people, these Swifts could make the journey between Edinburgh and Glasgow in less than 8 hours at a time when it would take several days to make the same journey by road.

Another of the newly decorated junction boxes in the Anderston area of Glasgow, this time at the cornwr between Argyle Streets and St Vincent Street. It's highlighting the history of the local Delftfield Pottery, which was established by the tobacco merchants Laurence and Robert Dinwiddle on the Broomielaw in 1748, primarily to create Delftware.

Cast iron calling cards. These old access covers from the streets of Glasgow all feature the name of the plumbing company which installed them. While no longer common, you can find similar ones advertising different plumbing and building companies throughout the city. Most of the businesses no longer exist, but the one in the bottom left, John Richmond and Co Ltd, is still trading today, some 135 years after it was established in 1885.

Old Rely-A-Bell burglar alarm box outside on Great George Street in the West End of in Glasgow. First created around 1904, Rely-A-Bell burglar alarms were initially manufactured by the London ironmonger Thomas Gunn. It was spun off into its own company, the Rely-a-Bell Burglar and Fire Alarm Company Limited, in 1921. It's believed to be the oldest burglar alarm company in the UK.

A fragment of the old Monkland Canal passing under Castle Street in Glasgow. Designed by James Watt, this canal was completed in 1794 and was built to bring coal into Glasgow. Most of it was filled in when the M8 was built in the 1970s. If you look on the right hand side, you can still see where the ropes used to pull the barges have worn grooves into the metal positioned to protect the stonework on the corner of the bridge.

Lone Survivor: It always seems rather sad to come across an orphaned tenement which has been left standing when all its neighbours have been demolished. Often, as is the case for this one on Keppochhill Road in Glasgow, the survivors have a pub on their ground floor and this was what saved it as it was deemed too expensive to buy out the licence for such premises.

#glasgow #glasgowtenements #glasgowbuildings
#tenements #glasgowhistory #architecture #architecturephotography #oldpubs

I love how this mid-Victorian church on Tharsis Street in the east of Glasgow is set into the slope of Garngad Hill. Originally, St Rollox Church, in 1894, it became home to the St Rollox branch of the Foundry Boys Religious Society, an organisation created in the Olympia Music Hall in the Cowcaddens area of the city in 1865.

Cont./